Were Ozzy & Therapy? really in the studio together for “Iron Man”?

#

Started by Superunknown

Or did they just record their parts seperately?
Who teamed them up anyway?

Posted on Thu, 3 June 2004 at 15:58

You’re viewing replies 1–16 of 16 by 11 people

·

Page: First | Previous | Next | Last

hoochalobster (Sarah) Super Moderator wrote:

From Seconds Magazine, many years ago:

EWING: Did you hear about the Ozzy thing? We recorded “Iron Man” with Ozzy in Los Angeles. Concrete Marketing and Sony are putting out a Sabbath tribute album. We got a fax from Ozzy when we were in Europe asking if we would do “Iron Man” with him on vocals for the record. We thought someone was setting us up.

From Kerrang!:

Joel Wreford: “How did you feel about doing Ozzfest after Ozzy slagged off the version of ‘Iron Man’ you did with him?”
Andy: The ‘Iron Man’ thing was blown out of proportion. Michael and I went to LA to record the song with Ozzy, and afterwards he said it was cool. We got photos taken with him and thought, ‘That’s the coolest guy we’ve ever met’. The next week he was saying, ‘What a load of shit that song is’, so I just went, ‘What an old wanker’! Basically the poor bastard had been asked to sing on his own tribute album, which is pretty f**king embarrassing, but we were glad we did it because we got to meet Ozzy. Afterwards, we toured America together and no one has ever treated us better. I’ll never hear a bad word said about Ozzy or Sabbath.”

:)

Posted on Thu, 3 June 2004 at 21:02

Alex wrote:

And yet, I remember reading elsewhere that they never actually met during the recording of the song.

But I am getting on, and mind is failing…

Posted on Thu, 3 June 2004 at 21:35

Yeah, when I was searching through my files for that info I was actually looking for something that said they never met - then I found those. I’ve definitely read somewhere before that they recorded it seperately. Weird.

Posted on Thu, 3 June 2004 at 21:41

MarkoJii (Evil Twin) wrote:

I remember that there was article about this on The Funny Farm but I can’t remember anything else but the picture of Michael, Andy & Ozzy in it. Could it be that they recorded in in England because they had a gig in Helsinki, Finland at the time and had to get up early to record it.

Posted on Fri, 4 June 2004 at 05:27

Joel (Joel Wreford) wrote:

From Kerrang!:

Joel Wreford: “How did you feel about doing Ozzfest after Ozzy slagged off the version of ‘Iron Man’ you did with him?”
Andy: The ‘Iron Man’ thing was blown out of proportion. Michael and I went to LA to record the song with Ozzy, and afterwards he said it was cool. We got photos taken with him and thought, ‘That’s the coolest guy we’ve ever met’. The next week he was saying, ‘What a load of shit that song is’, so I just went, ‘What an old wanker’! Basically the poor bastard had been asked to sing on his own tribute album, which is pretty f**king embarrassing, but we were glad we did it because we got to meet Ozzy. Afterwards, we toured America together and no one has ever treated us better. I’ll never hear a bad word said about Ozzy or Sabbath.”

Yay! Hooch, that was my interview for Kerrang! with Therapy? (I’m Joel Wreford!!!)

In fact I found out the other day if you do a search against my name on google, the first result is a Therapy? interview. Pretty cool!

Posted on Fri, 4 June 2004 at 19:19

satansteddybear wrote:

I remember ozzy done his parts in the U.S and therapy? done their’s over here somewhere

az

Posted on Fri, 4 June 2004 at 22:23

Billy Blue wrote:

Yay! Hooch, that was my interview for Kerrang! with Therapy? (I’m Joel Wreford!!!)

Heh heh, yey you! What a smug job :p

So do you think they were telling the truth about meeting Ozzy or did they lie and really record it in the UK? ;)

Posted on Sat, 5 June 2004 at 00:36

Joel (Joel Wreford) wrote:

From what I remember of the interview they sounded like they did meet to record the song. They kept talking about how cool Ozzy was. Especially Michael and Andy.

By the way it wasn’t a job with Kerrang unfortunately, I just won a competition. Pretty damn cool day! Spent a couple of hours with the band in the Kerrang offices with a few others and a couple of cases of beer! Nice!

And got a picture of my Gemil tattoo in Kerrang!

Posted on Sat, 5 June 2004 at 19:13

MIKEHELL wrote:

Title: The Truth

Folks,
We were on tour in Europe and got a phone call from our manager who had been called by Ozzy’s people. The plan, as we heard it,was a tribute album to Black Sabbath and we would do a version of “Iron Man” and Ozzy would do the vocals. Of course we were in 7th heaven, said YES! and the recording date was agreed.

The schedule was a bit tight so we learnt the song on tour and after a show in Helsinki we caught a 6am flight to Metropolis Studios in London to record the music. We sorted out our hired backline and began to run through the track.

Eventually we got a reasonably good version down and caught the last flight back out to our touring party.

Fast forward two months and Andy and I fly to Los Angeles to hook up with Mr Osbourne and finish off the song. The producer is Terry Date who has worked with some of our favourite bands…Pantera,Soundgarden and Helmet amongst others. He’s very cool and we spend the evening doing a few overdubs and Andy sings a cool bit for the middle eight.

Next day Ozzy is due to record his vocals and we hurry down to hang out and meet the legend. Of course traffic is bad and we arrive 30 minutes late. When we walk in we get introduced to Ozzy who is just about to do his vocals. His PA Tony looks after us very well and after the vocals are done we meet up properly. A bit of chat later we get our pictures taken and an autograph before he leaves. Fantastic.

Short but sweet indeed but we did some shows the next year supporting Ozzy in the US and we got treated soooo well. Hats off to Ozzy, Sharon, their kids, Robert, Joe, Mike and all their great crew…it was brilliant and very flattering for us…

So there you have it…the autobiography will have more salacious details but for now that’s the truth…

Michaelx

Posted on Sun, 6 June 2004 at 00:56

Misanthropologist (d) wrote:

Well, i _suppose_ we can trust your story… *beady-eyed glare*

:) That’s cool, and nicely cleared up, thanks. I’d probably be happier if I’d actually heard the damn track though(and if there was some more vodka in this glass, too). :( Cheers!

Nice to know our moderator isn’t feeding us total bullshit all the time, too. :D

Posted on Sun, 6 June 2004 at 01:07

Bad Karma wrote:

Even though MIKEHELL has cleared everything up about the recording of the Iron Man cover i found this in an old issue of Metal Hammer so i thought i would post it anyway.

Andy Cairns:”We were in a state of shock when it all happened we just didn’t drink it all in.We did that track with Ozzy(‘Iron Man’ from the ‘Nativity In Black’ tribute album).We flew from Sweden to this studio in LA.Ozzy was doing vocals on our version of ‘Iron Man’.And i just thought later fucking hell we flew over to Los Angeles to record with Ozzy Osbourne,but at the same time it seemed like no deal because things were coming in every day.It was fantastic,a lot of people quit after that.”

Posted on Sun, 6 June 2004 at 18:33

Citizen Erased (confused again) wrote:

Bad Karma wrote:

a lot of people quit after that.”

Quit what?

And I think Mikehell’s final comment means that matters are certainly not completely cleared up ;)

Posted on Sun, 6 June 2004 at 18:38

Bad Karma wrote:

Citizen Erased wrote:

Quit what?

You better ask Andy that question i just typed out the interview.

Posted on Mon, 7 June 2004 at 18:17

ctrlaltdelete (chris) wrote:

maybe quit the rock thing, after hitting a peak like that…you recording with the legend that is o.osbourne, and doing the legendary track that is Iron man.
I remember when we did some recording with ozzy and the Sabbath boys, we thought it was great.But we still play :o

Posted on Tue, 8 June 2004 at 12:17

Bad Karma wrote:

You’re probably right ctrlaltdelete,thank fuck they didn’t quit.

Posted on Tue, 8 June 2004 at 18:41

ratamahatta wrote:

Billy Blue wrote:

From Kerrang!:

In fact I found out the other day if you do a search against my name on google, the first result is a Therapy? interview. Pretty cool!

i just did that…found the interview…and found my new favourite andy to add to my collection…DRUMROLL PLEASE…

‘Ah Cairnsy, snogging boys now are you?…’.”

Posted on Thu, 10 June 2004 at 23:51

There are no more replies in this discussion. (Go to the homepage)

to post a reply. Sign in if you’re already a member.

You’re viewing replies 1–16 of 16 by 11 people

·

Page: First | Previous | Next | Last

Other discussions started by Superunknown

Title Replies Started Last post
Favorite opening line from a T? song 36
Looking for funny British comedy shows 194
I heard, the Stereophonics split up… 28
Kyuss or Queens Of The Stone Age 48
Bands T? have covered 37

View all 200 discussions started by Superunknown.