Random set of the day: T-Rawket Sky Strike

Posted by ,
T-Rawket Sky Strike

T-Rawket Sky Strike

©2014 LEGO Group

Today's random set is 79120 T-Rawket Sky Strike, released during 2014. It's one of 10 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles sets produced that year. It contains 286 pieces and 4 minifigs, and its retail price was US$34.99/£29.99.

It's owned by 1,403 Brickset members. If you want to add it to your collection you should find it for sale at BrickLink, where new ones sell for around $90.00, or eBay.

Continue reading »

Designer insight: Niek van Slagmaat

Posted by ,
Ninja Ultra Combo Mech

Ninja Ultra Combo Mech

©2022 LEGO Group

Many LEGO set designers use our BrickLists feature to maintain a list of the sets they've worked on and often provide interesting insights about their involvement.

Once a week we publish an entry from one of their lists on the home page to increase awareness of this information and to encourage more designers to create them.

Niek van Slagmaat wrote this about their work on 71765 Ninja Ultra Combo Mech:

Without a doubt, my favorite set I have worked on so far. Inspired by tokusatsu and anime alike, this set was something I wanted to do for Ninjago for a very long time.

I like to think of this set as a playtheme in a box. It has 1 mech, 3 vehicles and 1 villain mech. I took a lot of the learnings I got from designing Voltron and expanded on them in this set. By limiting the amount of technic and making as many of the connections system connections, I kept the wiggling and bending to a minimum while also making it relatively easy and fun to build.

For this set, I was finally given the element frame to create the piece I have been wanting since I worked on Zane's Titan Mech in 2019. https://brickset.com/parts/6365679/flex-joint-female-w-dia-4-85-snap The new hip and shoulder joint that marries the AT-AT ratchet with 2 Galidor ratchets to create a 2 axis joint capable of carrying larger models. This piece was originally pitched by Janko Grujic (https://brickset.com/sets/designer-Janko-Grujic), and I had asked for it ever since he did.

It also uses all the new pieces we made for SCCBS. It does this both in conventional ways (cockpit and limbs) and novel ways (shell in the thighs of the Kai mech). Fully showcasing the overall versatility of the new suite of elements.

I'm so happy that it is doing well and many kids have managed to get their hands on this toy. It is my pride and joy.

Continue reading »

Despicable Me 4 sets now listed at LEGO.com

Posted by ,
Minions' Music Party Bus

Minions' Music Party Bus

©2024 LEGO Group

After a lot of silly fuss a few weeks ago involving lawyers and oversized minions, full pictures of the four Despicable Me 4 sets are now available for all to see thanks to listings at LEGO.com.

We've added them to our database and you can also view them after the break.

Continue reading »

Recent reviews

Posted by ,

Here's a list of the reviews that we've published recently:

40686 Trade Federation Troop Carrier

Although ill-suited for a promotion, this is nonetheless an appealing model

75381 Droideka

Considering the complexity of the droideka onscreen, this is a fantastic rendition

75376 Tantive IV

Other than its expensive price, 75376 Tantive IV is an outstanding set for display

40704 Micro NINJAGO Docks

As a continuation of the Micro NINJAGO City series, this is an excellent model

75382 TIE Interceptor

Accuracy is essential to the Ultimate Collector Series and 75382 TIE Interceptor delivers!

42621 Heartlake City Hospital

A satisfying update to Heartlake's City Hospital

View more reviews in the news archive »

Review: 40686 Trade Federation Troop Carrier

Posted by ,

May the Fourth promotional items have usually settled into patterns, beginning with minifigure polybags, before the launch of brick-built droids and microscale models. Recent promotions feel less predictable though, including 40686 Trade Federation Troop Carrier.

This model looks excellent and suitably marks the 25th anniversary of The Phantom Menace, but seems better suited to army building than limited promotional availability. Even so, I am curious about this set, which will be available with purchases of over £145, $160, €160 at the beginning of May.

Continue reading »

LEGO Piece Count Inflation: What's Up With That...?

Posted by ,

Welcome to "What's Up With That...?", the article series where I, ex-LEGO designer James and host of new YouTube channel TUBESIDE, will explore some of the frequently asked questions from AFOLs about the mysteries of the design decisions of The LEGO Group.

Quick question: Are LEGO sets more expensive now than in the past? The simple answer is yes, obviously, but what about adjusting for inflation?

To make an easy comparison, 6276 Eldorado Fortress was $66 with 506 elements, adjusted for inflation, that's $163.05 in 2023 with a PPP of 32.1¢ and the one that came out last year is $190, 2509 elements, with a PPP of 8.6¢. So as you can see, LEGO models are better value now than before, case closed.

But as I write this, there are already people typing comments about "Yes, but in the old days there were much bigger pieces! Everything nowadays is made of tiny 1x1s to inflate the part count!"

Uh-oh, so what's up with that...?

Continue reading »

This week's top news articles

Posted by ,

These are the most read articles that we've posted during the last fortnight:

ArticleDateViewsLikesComments
UCS TIE Interceptor and more announced!15 Apr24202128143
Three summer DREAMZzz sets revealed!09 Apr21671161108
Three new Star Wars sets revealed!10 Apr1913913196
Bright-Coloured Filler Bricks: What's Up With That...?13 Apr18524242140
Review: 10332 Medieval Town Square14 Apr1614017550
May the Fourth promotions revealed!15 Apr1393611265
Review: 75382 TIE Interceptor16 Apr1312716484
Artemis Space Launch System discovered!19 Apr1139314979
Review: 75383 Darth Maul's Sith Infiltrator10 Apr1134211354
Review: 60439 Space Science Lab07 Apr992412829

The total number of news article views this week is 193,599, which is 10,854 more than last week.

Reading Brick Show next weekend

Posted by ,

The fifth annual Reading Brick Show takes place next weekend, 27th-28th April, at the Loddon Valley Leisure Centre, Reading, UK.

It's one of the largest LEGO shows in the UK where you'll find awesome MOCs, robot battles, building opportunities and traders selling new and used sets, parts and minifigs.

I will be there with my GBCs so, if you're attending, come and say hello.

Tickets can be purchased in advance, or on the door. I hope to see you there!

What's hot this week

Posted by ,

These are the sets that have been viewed the most this week:

TWLWSetViews
175382 TIE Interceptor4543
240686 Trade Federation Troop Carrier3543
377903 The Dark Knight of Gotham City2925
44675192 Millennium Falcon2577
540312 Streetlamps2508
68632 Swamp Raid2494
7308002 Destroyer Droid2119
830680 AAT2101
97181 TIE Interceptor2073
10175381 Droideka2037

The total number of set detail pages viewed this week is 1,188,172, which is 66,683 fewer than last week.

Review: 75381 Droideka

Posted by ,

Various large-scale droids have been produced recently, including fan-favourite characters and some more unusual designs, such as the classic Imperial Probe Droid. 75381 Droideka joins the range this year and destroyer droids are surely unusual, but also extremely popular!

This rendition of the droid appears remarkably detailed and is even capable of folding into the rolling configuration shown in the films. It seems the designer has found the perfect balance between display value and function, so this should be a fitting successor to the brilliant 8002 Destroyer Droid, released in 2000.

Continue reading »

Vintage set of the week: Maersk Line Container Ship

Posted by ,
Maersk Line Container Ship

Maersk Line Container Ship

©1974 LEGO Group

This week's vintage set is 1650 Maersk Line Container Ship, released during 1974. It's one of 13 LEGOLAND sets produced that year. It contains 220 pieces.

It's owned by 68 Brickset members. If you want to add it to your collection you might find it for sale at BrickLink or eBay.

Continue reading »

Review: Battle of Yavin collectable coin

Posted by ,

Among the three gifts with purchase that will be offered to buyers of Star Wars sets during the May the Fourth period at the start of next month is a collectable coin.

It depicts a scene from the battle that takes place in the trench of the Death Star at the end of episode 4 from the point of view of a TIE Fighter pilot.

Continue reading »

View more articles »